Knowledge – The First Step in Being Valuable

Over the weekend I picked up one of my all-time favorite books, Love is the Killer App, by Tim Sanders.  I was fortunate enough to see Tim give a talk back in 2004 and it was honestly one of those “moments” in life you always remember.

There are three intangibles, according to Tim, that are the keys to our success…both in business and in life.

  1. Knowledge
  2. Network
  3. Compassion

Possessing knowledge draws people to you.  It makes you valuable.  It leads to employment opportunities.  The most successful people in the world can also be described as the most knowledgeable.  Then it is up to your network and compassion to guide you on sharing your knowledge.

In this economy, jobs are scarce.  Increase your knowledge!  It is free (if you have a library card or even internet access).  I have shared this advice for years with colleagues, employees, and friends…”make yourself so valuable that no company could ever do without you!”  Talk about job security!

Unfortunately, I watch too many people lacking a plan to grow their knowledge, and as a result, their value.  In 2004 I first learned the power of having a Knowledge Acquisition Plan (KAP).  This means a system, or process, for always learning and improving.  Primarily this comes from reading.  I make it a habit to read every day for 30 minutes.  This happens before I respond to emails, return phone calls, or work on projects. 

The results can be amazing.  I learn something new everyday.  I get motivated and inspired.  I feel more balanced and sometimes even a bit super-charged.  I have ideas and knowledge to share with customers and business partners each day (my network). 

I encourage you to create your own Knowledge Acquisition Plan.  Set aside 15-30 minutes each day to read.  Books should be 75%, and articles can be the other 25%.  If you’re not sure where to start, pick up Tim Sander’s book. 

Become the most valuable person you can be, to both your friends, and your employer or employees.

About Trevor Hammond

Since 1998, Trevor Hammond has helped thousands of families finance their homes and make smart decisions when it comes to their personal finances. Now, as a sought-after mortgage advisor, coach, speaker, and author, Trevor Hammond continues to focus on helping people enjoy more money, less stress, and more life. As the co-author of Borrow Smart, Repay Smart and his 2018 follow up book, Mortgages, Money and Life, Trevor has created unique financial coaching programs and spoken in front of thousands of people on his book concepts ranging from improving cash flow and savings, managing liabilities, to advanced real estate financing strategies for homeowners. His passion for providing financial education and his ability to innovate unique processes that help both clients and originators excel, has led Trevor to become a top producer and build a #1 branch in the country for mortgage lending company Sierra Pacific Mortgage. Whether Trevor is speaking to hundreds of people from the stage, working on his next book or mentoring a Loan Officer one-on-one as a High Trust™ Leader, he is pursuing his greatest passion of all: Coaching.
This entry was posted in Knowledge. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Knowledge – The First Step in Being Valuable

  1. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your great post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

Leave a Reply